Wednesday, July 14, 2004

Question

Alright, I was thinking about something today. So, men in particular I need your advice.

Is it immodest to wear a spaghetti strapped dress to a non-formal function?

I would really appreciate your input in the comments section. I don't necessarily need to know who you are. You can post as anonymous, just let me know whether you are a guy or a girl. Thanks!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your question got me thinking about whether or not dress that is appropriate for one occaision would not be appropriate for another. Certainly there are matters or taste and/or style as well as cultural expectations that come into play, as well as more practical concerns (e.g. how formal/informal is the occaision, what activities will be happening). This could certainly have implications in the realm of athletic apparel and swimwear. For example, wearing a tankini to the beach could be OK, while wearing one to class might not, and wearing one to church, or to a dinner party would be inappropriate as well, but perhaps for different reasons. On the other hand, one could certainly think of swimwear that would be immodest in any/all of the above circumstances except perhaps at a private beach with your husband (does this fit into your previous question Cal?)
With these thoughts in mind, your spaghetti strapped dress could fit into any of the categories above: it might be OK for formal occaisions but a bit over the top for life in general, it might be OK for a wider range of applications, or it might be a hinderance to the men you run across in any/all contexts. I suppose I'd have to know more about the dress to give a more definitive answer.
Bear in mind, modesty is a matter of the heart level intentions of the woman who chooses what to wear and how to adorn herself - with consideration of how this reflects the image she desires to project to those she encounters (perhaps best thought of as the realm of her own internal weaknesses in the area of identity or sense of self) as well as how it will effect others(either positively or negatively) as a result (here thought of more in term of the weaknesses of others in the area of lust). A truly modest woman takes both of these spheres into account in deciding what to wear, and ultimately honors God by loving others and loveing herself through her choice of attire.

I guess it doesn't really matter if I identify myself here as any who know me already know who wrote this loquatious post, and any who don't wouldn't be helped by me adding my personal monkier, so I'll just sign this as:

Guess Who

Anonymous said...

Thanx JJ. Might I say, that was quite a candid discourse.

Anonymous said...

It's hard to follow post like that! However, I'd be inclined to say that the thinness of the straps isn't as important as the other features of the dress: How short is the skirt? How low is the neckline? Is it backless or not? I've seen very tasteful dresses with spaghetti straps (formal and otherwise) and I've seen some pretty showy dresses without them. And then there's the odd situation of the few men who are actually physically turned on by modesty. Bottom line... Forget cultural standards, both Christian and otherwise. Can you offer your heart to God for scrutiny, allowing Him to convict you of any immodest intentions, and still wear the dress with a clear conscience? If you try this, I think you'll have your answer.

- a girl