Sunday, July 04, 2004

I'm home

Happy 4th of July everyone!

We got home today after a fun trip to South Dakota. I may never say this again but I really ENJOYED the small town, country feeling of SD. It was peaceful and it really felt like a vacation. It also allowed my heart to settle down a little bit. It has been an emotional week.

We had slight vehicular problems on the way home. We pull off at a gas station about 50 miles out of Sioux City (I think that is what it is called- it is the city that touches IA, NE and SD) and my Dad and Mom were convinced that the water pump is going out in the vehicle. Hmm, we are still at least 3 hours out of Omaha. Slight problem. So what is a girl to do? I started praying. God got us home safely without any altracations. Which was pretty awesome.

In other news, I had a fun time at the family reunion this weekend. There were very few people there my age but that was alright. I got to share with my family about EDGE and that was really encouraging. They were very supportive and excited for me. They will probably remain supportive as long as I don't make a career out of the missionary thing. Well, that we will see about.

Anyways, I don't know too much. I was reading in Mark 3 - 6ish today about Jesus and I guess I just want to say that I know an AWESOME God. I was completely fascinated by Jesus and how he had compassion on people, healed them and really met their needs. He IS God and he takes the time to drive out demons and heal people of deformities they have had their entire lives. So, I was touched by his compassion. Beyond that, I was also intrigued by his response to a man that he drove a legion of demons out of. The man tried to follow Jesus where he was going and Jesus told him instead to go home and tell his village what had happenned to him. That challenged me because so often I would rather just be with Jesus (ie. by myself with my Bible and God) than go out and tell about what he has done for me.

All of my rantings reminded me at EDGE summit, Darin Lindbloom said that he has known people (he was specifically referring to non-believers) to not be attracted to Christianity but he has never known people to not be attracted to Jesus. Ponder that, I think he is right.

I want to close with a quote on faith that inspired me today it goes:
"Faith is stepping out so far that God has to do a miracle to keep you from falling." Dr. Ian Thomas
One word comes to mind with this quote... I'll give you one guess.;)

3 comments:

the jake said...

Well, if I only get one guess, I think it rhymes with schmundraising.

But seriously folks. Glad to hear awesome reports about the God who is doing great things in your life. Yet I'm certain He's doing more than you could contain in a simple blog, so bring further praises to His name.
Something brief about this summer in JAX: I was stoked to spend some time in Gen. 22 after I found a job down here. It was great to just study & experience God as provider and all that entailed. But here's the thought: God called Abe, Abe (a rich man with numerous servants) chops his own wood and saddles his own donkey, doing what it took to do himself what God had called him to do. And in the mount of the LORD (where Abe obeyed the call of God) it was provided.
Anyway, I need to get sleep. Peace I'm outta here.

Anonymous said...

Hey Jen. I'm glad you enjoyed your "vacation." I also had a family reunion this weekend, and I felt kind of alone without too many other people my age there either. So I left early to drive back and watch the fireworks in Seward with Aaron. Good times! ;) Oh, and I love that definition of faith. I think I'd heard it once before but I can't remember where.

Cora

Anonymous said...

Jake, maybe the word is schumdraising. You could never know.
Anyway, Jenny, thanx for telling us about God's work in your life. The hardest thing about showing only Christ is that it is the hardest thing to do. Much more difficult than just being a Churchy Christian. But Christ desires to reveal Himself through us. At least we have that on our side. Imagine if we were supposed to show Christ through our own effort.
By the way, vehicular problems just sounds weird. It sounds like someone saying jugular problems or cocurricular problems or appendicular problems or equangular problems. Do you see what I mean?

Phil