Tuesday, June 08, 2004

Hymn #508

I found this in a hymnal a few years back and it has spoken to me a couple of times now. I am not sure that I agree theologically with all of it and not all of it is accurate to how I feel but I thought I would share it. I hope I am not breaking any copyright laws. It is by Catherine Marshall.

Father, once I had such big dreams so much anticipation of the future.
Now, no shimmering horizon beckons me; my days are lack-lustre.
I see so little of value in the daily round.
Where is your plan for my life?

You have told us that without vision; we men perish.
So, Father in heaven, knowing that I can ask in confidence for what is your expressed will to give me, I ask you to deposit in my mind and heart that particular dream- the special vision you have for my life.

I sense this may involve adventures I have not bargained for.
But I want to trust you enough to follow even if you lead along new paths. I admit to liking some of my ruts. But I know that habit patterns that seem like cozy nests from inside from your vantage points can be prisons.

Lord, if you have to break down any prisons of mine before I can see the stars and catch the vision, then Lord begin the process now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was in a hymnal? Was it a song or was it just something that someone had written?

philabowl

Jenny said...

It was basically prose on a page in the middle of a hymnal at my Mennonite-Brethern church in high school. I was thinking about that when I posted too. It is a rather odd "hymn."