Thursday, June 29, 2006

I changed the title of this post because it was not happy enough...

Yep. You read that right. This is how I feel about life right now... I don't like it. I feel unemployed. I don't want to fundraise and I just want to have one place to live.

But I am stuck because I begin thinking this way and then I realize what is true. I have God's love, MANY places to live, all the money I could ever want, great friends and boyfriend and family, and I have a job that I love much more often than I hate it. What am I complaining about anyway?

I've also been thinking about John 10:10 and how Jesus said that he came that we might have abundant life. Is that a promise for now? If so, what do I need to be doing to experience that? Any ideas!?

PS- I need a creative blog name. I am itching to change it again! What do you think of the current one?

Update: Just for clarification sake (so you understand the comments- yay for comments)the post title was originally "hating life" and the blog title was for a brief time changed to "Compelled."

3 comments:

Jenny said...

Cal-

You are a FUNNY man! I debated a lot about compelled.

varv-

I like your idea. After looking at your blog though I felt like I was ripping off your ideas so I went a different route.

I am not creative at all. GRRRR!

Anonymous said...

"Jesus said that he came that we might have abundant life. Is that a promise for now?"

Your question brings to mind my answer to a related question I ran across a while back. This answer seems equally applicable to your question about the nature of abundant life. Here you go:
------------
Q: "how is it possible to remain hopeful and optimistic when the world is so hopelessly flawed and cruel?"

A: It is possible when our peace and contentment are not attached to our circumstances.

In this a great mystery is presented. The world is hopelessly flawed and cruel: we feel real pain and suffer. Yet, peace has been broken free of these painful circumstances: we feel real joy. So, in this world we have been freed to feel pain [or just a little stuck]. We suffer and have joy simultaneously. Such is the meat of in but not of the world.

Christ's work has bought and given us a wedding garment - freeing us to be in God's presence (heaven). Christ's work has broken peace free from our circumstances - freeing us to be in this world (suffering). Thus, Christ's gift to us is both the "there" and the "here".

p.s. I'm not saying there's only suffering in this world - there is good too. All the same, the good circumstances are all the better with Christ’s new arrangement: when peace doesn't require them.
-----------

So, "Is that a promise for now?" You bet sweetie-pie.

"[W]hat do I need to be doing to experience that? This question betrays you - misleads you.

"Any ideas!?" See the answer above.

You ask good questions Girasol. They get me to bite like a good fishy. And Girasol is a good blog name: intriguing to the unknowing looking in - personal and accurate to the long initiated. Simplicity with out being overly simplistic.

Jenny said...

That response was beautiful. Eloquent, deep, simple and surprisingly (or not so surprisingly) uplifting! Thanks hermit! I am glad you bit the bait.