Tuesday, June 14, 2005

back in america

Hey friends-

I wanted to write and let ya'll know that I am back in America. East Asia was an amazing, life-changing experience. I saw so many new things and experienced so many new aspects of God. It was just amazing.

I would love to fill all of you in on all of the details but for brevity (and interest) sake I will only tell a couple of stories here.

The first is just about me. I was really convicted about my own sinfulness in not being burdened for the whole world previous to this experience. I can sense in me a very American centered view of God and the gospel. It totally changed my perspective and heart to see that God loves the whole world and that there are lots of people in the rest of the world for him to love and draw to himself.

I also wanted to tell you guys about a friend I met. Her name is Tao and I got to spend a fair amount of time with her. She is an incredibly smart teacher at a big university in Asia. She has a ton of questions and she has been reading the bible with some people for about 5 years now. She struggles so much with belief- the simple aspect of trusting something she cannot see. She struggles with family and the divorce rate in america and with the bible's teaching on loving God more than success. She wants to believe but is having such a difficult time. I got to have a couple conversations with her about the issues of family, faith and dating relationships. She is so precious and it broke my heart to meet so many like her who have such a hard time with faith and to see how their environment has affected that.

It seems very small to sum up such an adventure like that but I will for readers sake. In other news I fear that I will never forget Asia because I will never sleep on a normal time schedule again! :) I also leave for EDGE training on Friday.

No comments: