AND it was with a bunch of freshman men and women and their Bible study leaders. Yep you guessed it, on Friday night I went on a Freshman Connection group date. I have to say it wins the award for the most interesting date I have ever been on. First, the men picked us up at the dorms and we ate dinner in the cafeteria courtesy of (you guessed it) our parents. Then we went to Manhattan Hill (and we did not go there to make out- although it is apparently the high school make out spot). The guys made signs that read "You are the light of the world, a city on a hill cannot be hidden." Then we talked about how we were on a hill looking at a city (a little opposite of the verse) but we got the imagery. The men did an excellent job then of leading us in a disscusion about where we were being lights for Christ (specifically through verbal evangelism) and then we all shared what God had used to encourage us this year. Then we broke up into groups and the guys prayed for the girls. BUT the interesting part is still to come... After this activity, we went back to the dorms and carved soap sculptures (yep good old Dial soap and a butterknife) with knives the men had "Borrowed" from the dorm cafeteria. I made a heart with a cross but others made things from penguins to Mr. Potato Head. It was a good time.
Saturday night was also awesome. My Bible study girls (the FC one) and I went to Topeka and stayed the night at Liz's house. Her mom made us dinner, snacks and breakfast. We had some good serious conversation, serious fun, and some good Bible study. It rocked. It was everything I hoped it would be and MORE. How cool. Praise God!
In other news, I talked to both Tracy, Sonya and Rachael on the phone this weekend. What a gift from God. That was SO SO SO SO awesome. It is hard to believe that Tracy and Rachael are both graduating in four weeks and moving FAR away. But, I was marveling at how much and God did in their lives in college. I long to be used to impact people in that way at K-state.
In personal news (well, more personal news that is) I am reading Chosen By God by R.C. Sproul. Watch out I may come out a Calvinist or maybe with just more understanding of the Bible. But I am excited to tackle the predestination can of worms. Wish me God!
Sunday, November 21, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I'm glad that you and your gals enjoyed the date. It sounds like it was a God honoring and encouraging experience for everyone involved.
Another great book that spends a chapter tacking the issue of election from a different perspective than mainline reform theology is "The Pleasures of God" by John Piper. He unapologetically believes in the doctrine of election, and grounds his view in the Scriptures with an emphasis on why God takes pleasure in election. Although I wouldn't put myself in the classis reform camp theologically (mainly due to the fact that any systematized theology has the danger of replacing the Scriptures themselves as the ultimate source authority, and tends to try to completely resolve issues that are mysterious to the point of not being able to be fully understood by the mind of man, or meant to be held in tension with other seemingly contradictory viewpoints), I would definitely say that my reading of both the Scriptures and of other writers has convinced me of the sound Scriptural foundation for election, and the potentially disasterious consequences of a theological framework without it.
I'm curious to hear where you stand on the issue now, and where you end up...
Post a Comment