Tuesday, September 21, 2004

Spiders and intruders and bears oh my!

Hey all!

Sorry about the radio silence on the blog. I spent the last week at Meredith's host families house and their internet was broken. Thus, blogging became a low priority. All in all, life in Manhattan is going alright. I am finally starting to have some relationships that are deepening and I am starting to get to more spiritual topics with the relationships that I have. Woo hoo! But, what I want to blog about is a funny thing that happened on Saturday.

First of all, to comment on the spiders portion of the title, I want to say that I am NOT afraid of spiders in any way shape or form but last night I got home about 11:50 to a hairy good sized spider on my doorstep. How gross! I am not afraid of spiders in general but I just get a little freaked out when they are large enough that you can see the hair they are covered in. Ick!

Enough on that, the funny story happened at Merediths house last week. Picture this, two women staying alone in a huge house for a week. Well Saturday night was the end of that week and we had just had people over and were up chatting. Well, I went downstairs at 1:30 a.m. to grab my purse and head to bed when I noticed that the door coming inside from the garage was OPEN and neither of us had opened it. I bolted upstairs and in a broken voice told Meredith that the door was open and I had no idea how it got that way and that I was freaked out. She was talking to her boyfriend on the phone and he responded to our fright by laughing. Well we were not laughing. Meredith made me baracade and shut her door while we developed a plan. Seh let Ryan (her boyfriend) go and told him that if she didn't call him back in 5 minutes to call her back and if she didn't answer to worry. Then, we proceeded to call all the guys numbers meredith had in her phone (all two of them). We couldn't get a hold of anyone so we braved it on our own.

We decided after about 5 minutes had passed that we needed to go shut the door and check the house and that we needed weapons. So we grabbed her 5 pound weights and left the room. we searched every room and every corner of the house often yelling as we opened doors to scare the intruders. We discovered nothing and decided to leave all the lights on the main level on. We went back upstairs to complete the search and call Ryan back. Well... 20 minutes had elapsed.

In the meantime Ryan (in an act of protection) had called the Manhattan police department and when he got their answering machine decided to call Jen and Joel. CRAZY!?? We felt really bad but in the end got quite the laugh out of it!:)

In other news, this weekend is K-States big evangelistic camp out. It is called Burly Girly. I can't wait!

1 comment:

Mandy said...

I absolutely love that story. I laughed SO hard when Mer told me! At least you know, Ryan cares...HEHE! :)
I'm excited about Burley Girly! Jenny, I'm glad you are here! Love ya girl!